The Conscience of Churches of Christ: Dwain Evans, A Celebration of Life
When: June 7, 2023, 4:15 pm - Wednesday
Where: Stone Chapel
Dwain Evans was a mover and shaker in virtually every major development in the 1960s and 1970s that transformed Churches of Christ from an exclusivist sect into a more mature Christian body. Race relations workshops, the Exodus Bay Shore movement, introducing Churches of Christ to the Holy Spirit, and helping establish Mission Journal were Dwain’s vehicles for progressive change in Churches of Christ. Through these works Dwain served as the conscience of Churches of Christ and he has stayed with Churches of Christ all these years, continuing to serve as a conscience in the circles in which he moves.
Jeff Christian, Bering Drive Church of Christ, Houston, Texas, Convener
- Richard Hughes, Lipscomb University, "Dwain's Historical Impact"
- Greg McKinzie, Lipscomb University, "The Lasting Impact of 'Mission Journal'"
- Raymond Carr, Harvard Divinity School, "The Impact on Race Relations"
- Jack Scott, California Community College System, Chancellor, Emeritus, "The Integrity of Dwain Evans"
- Alec Schrader, Bering Drive Church of Christ, Houston, Texas, "Dwain as Mentor and Model"
- Mary Ethel Gale, West Islip Church of Christ, "The Impact of Exodus Bayshore"
- Dwain Evans, Bering Drive Church of Christ, Houston, TX, Response