Imagining a Future in Churches of Christ: Mission and Whole Person Experiences
When: June 8, 2023, 3:30 pm - Thursday
Where: Lamb & Scroll
In this generative session, we use the work of two recent doctoral projects to discuss our capacities as communities of faith to better equip and include the members and families/caregivers of those with disabilities in our assemblies, mission, and capacities for Spiritual formation. We also will discuss how to better include the visual arts—and artists–in our experiences of worship, mission, and Spiritual formation.
Emily Bruff, HarperCollins Christian Publishing, “Spiritual Formation Through Visual Art in the Churches of Christ”
This doctorate of ministry project presents a qualitative study of the spiritually formative impact on Protestants, specifically in the Churches of Christ, when engaging with visual art in worship, either personal or corporate contexts. It seems there is an opportunity for visual art to spiritually form God’s people, whether inside a church building or by engaging with art in the community. When the created use visual art as a way to live into the missio dei (Mission of God) we glorify the Creator.
Grant Azbell, Magnolia Church of Christ, Florence, AL, “The Spiritual Impact of Disability on Parents and Caregivers”
This study was designed to examine the impact of disability on the faith and faith communities of parents and caregivers of persons experiencing disability. Nine parents or caregivers of persons experiencing disability were asked seven questions to evaluate the impact of disability on their faith and on their relationship to their faith community. What emerged from the data is important for ministers, church leaders, and anyone wanting to know more about the spiritual impact of disability on parents and caretakers of persons experiencing disability.
John York, Lipscomb University, Convener
- Emily Bruff, HarperCollins Christian Publishing, “Spiritual Formation Through Visual Art in the Churches of Christ”
- Lauren Smelser White, Lipscomb University, Theological Response
- David Ayers, Bammel Road Church of Christ, Houston, TX, Ecclesial Response
- Grant Azbell, Magnolia Church of Christ, Florence, AL, “The Spiritual Impact of Disability on Parents and Caregivers”
- Pam Scretchen, Lipscomb University, Academic Response
- Rodney Plunkett, Interim Ministry Partners, Ecclesial Response