Bill Bellinger to Deliver Roberts Lecture
April 14, 2023
We are pleased to announce that William H. Bellinger, Jr. will deliver this year’s J.J.M. Roberts Lecture in OT studies.
And, one of our worship services in the Stone Chapel will feature some of his work.
Bellinger is known for his research on worship texts in the Old Testament and much of his work explores the book of Psalms.
His Psalms: A Guide to Studying the Psalter has introduced students in a wide variety of settings to a deeper literary and theological study of this central book in the Hebrew Scriptures. His writings include Psalmody and Prophecy; Hosea: A Study Guide; A Hermeneutic of Curiosity and Readings of Psalm 61; Psalms (With Walter Brueggemann); The Psalter as Witness; and numerous scholarly articles.
Professor Bellinger has served on the Steering Committee for the Book of Psalms Section of the Society of Biblical Literature, and as Director of Graduate Studies and chair of the Baylor University Department of Religion.
Bill Bellinger joins a distinguished list of Roberts lecturers, a program established in 2015, when Abilene Christian University hosted the CSC.
The seven previous Roberts lecturers and their titles:
- 2022, Ellen Davis, "What Are Humans that God Should Even Notice? Reading Psalms in the Anthropocene"
- 2021, Steven McKenzie, "Four Questions from Jonah"
- 2019, Katharine Dell, "Woman Wisdom and Her Afterlife"
- 2018, Carol Myers, "The 'Gender Gap': Textual and Archaeological Images of Israelite Women"
- 2017, Carol Newsom, "Making Moral Agents in Biblical Israel: Alternative Strategies for Alternative VIsions"
- 2016, Chip Dobbs-Allsopp, "Isaiah's Love Song: A Reading of Isa 5:1-7"
- 2015, Choon-Leong Seow, "The Book of Job in its Cultural Milieu"
Over the years the committee entrusted to select the lecturer has been chaired by Mark W. Hamilton, Abilene Christian University, and has included Rick Marrs, Pepperdine University; Mark Sneed, Lubbock Christian University; Phillip Camp, Lipscomb University; and Tim Willis, Pepperdine University.
The Roberts Lecture series has excelled and the CSC has been better because of their leadership.
This would be a good day to register and make your plans to attend the 2023 CSC in Houston!
Sessions for the 2023 CSC are now closed and being slotted.